Sunday, April 7, 2013

Free Range Learning


I really liked this book as a resource. It had a lot of lists of books, groups, and websites to check out for homeschoolers. It also made me aware of the variety of activities a child can engage in including volunteering, current events, career shadowing, distance learning, making toys out of recycled materials, and helping to preserve the environment to name a few.

After reading this book, I felt inspired to be a guide, and a facilitator toward the kids when they want to learn something. Our homeschooling style will mainly be child directed learning and Montessori with a little bit of parent directed learning. I want them to keep up with the yearly school curriculum but to do it in a fun way. Yesterday was Saturday and it was happily spent reading, playing on the playground, drawing and doing math. Addition to be exact. We found a computer program that's free online where the kids happily spent time doing basic addition. It led them to question about adding larger numbers together and what is less than 0. I talked about temperature to relate negative numbers to practical life. 

Free Range Learning has a lot of quotes from different homeschoolers. It's great to hear so many different approaches and opinions. I took a lot of notes while reading this book. I feel like I'm doing my own independent study program.



No comments:

Post a Comment