Friday, June 21, 2013

Weekly Baking Project: Blueberry Tart




The boys really love baking. In fact they want to grow up and go to pastry school. Once a week we are going to bake something or make something that they want to make. I told them it could be anything- healthy or less than healthy. They will be involved in as many aspects as possible in making the treat. This week Dagan wanted to make a blueberry pie. I asked him if he wanted it in a pie pan or if he wanted to use the new tart pan I bought. He opted for the tart pan.

The boys learned everything from measuring and mixing to weighing and rinsing. They cooked a sauce out of blueberries, used a hand mixer to whip the cream cheese, and rolled out the tart dough. They learned as did I that if you have a lot of butter in the crust that it will drip into your oven and cause it to smoke. We discussed when to put a pan underneath, how to clean the oven, and what to do if your oven starts smoking.

My mother always made blueberry cream cheese squares. I thought I'd try a different recipe, one with fresh blueberries. Hers was much better though. Next time I'll make it with the kids and pass down the recipe from one generation to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment